Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stargazer by Claudia Gray

With this sequel readers return to Evernight Academy with Bianca. Of course, this year there is no Lucas. The administration believes Bianca was ignorant of his involvement with Black Cross, the vampire hunting organization. They believe she has broken up with Lucas due to this treachery. Instead, Bianca and Lucas spend the year planning clandestine meetings in order to steal a few precious moments together. They enlist the help of Balthazar, one of Bianca's closest vampire friends. In return, they agree to help Balthazar find his sister, a vampire also being hunted by Black Cross. In addition, wraiths have started invading Evernight. And they seem to be particularly interested in Bianca.

Bianca's rationalizations regarding her continuing relationship with Lucas reflect a teen's disinclination to think about consequences and their difficulty seeing long-term effects of their decisions. Though I was disappointed with the character, I can see the truth in the portrayal. Ultimately, this sequel reminded me of how I felt after reading New Moon by Stephenie Meyer - I was so angry at the main character that I didn't want to read the next book in the series. I was finally persuaded to do so, and ended up thoroughly enjoying Eclipse. Hopefully the next book in the Evernight series will resolve some of the issues I'm having with Bianca as Eclipse helped me come to terms with Bella.

No comments: